Wine lovers visiting Missoula can feel outnumbered by the beer connoisseurs. However, there are plenty of great places to enjoy a wonderful glass of vino. Missoula offers wine enthusiasts many venues to sample the best in Montana. Whether paired with a delicious meal or a stunning sunset over the amazing Montana landscape, a great vintage will enhance your Missoula experience. At Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast, we have stunning views at our mountainside retreat. Guests love to relax with a glass on our many decks and the sweeping views of the Bitterroot River are breathtaking in every season. Plan a relaxing vacation in Missoula while discovering the excellent wines of the region.
Ten Spoon Vineyard and Winery (pictured above) has been growing wine grapes in the Rattlesnake Valley since 1998 and making wine since 2003. By using solar power as well as locally grown fruit and grapes, they have shown a commitment to making unique wine styles in a sustainable manner. All of their wines are certified organic with no added sulfites and “Made in Montana.” Their tasting room, located at 4175 Rattlesnake Drive, is open November-March on Saturdays from 4-9pm and April-October: on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, from 4-9 pm. Call 406-549-8703.
The Missoula Winery, located at 5646 W Harrier in Missoula, features two signature wines: their Soul Red (a lovely blend of Grenache and Tempranillo, a well rounded wine for all occasions) and their Missoula White (a wonderfully fruity white wine on the drier side, a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Chenin Blanc). They host unforgettable events and even have a wine club. Call 406-830-3296.
Wanting to eat in a soothing wine bar atmosphere? Some local Missoula restaurants can recommend the perfect meal to match the perfect bottle of wine:
- At Red Bird, located at 11 N. Higgins Avenue Suite #100, you can either partake in the full dining experience with their fine dining section, or you can stick to something light at their wine bar. If you choose the bar, don’t miss out on the delicious fondue – cheese or chocolate. Their restaurant hours are Tues-Sat from 5:00-9 ish and wine bar hours are Mon-Sat from 5:00-10 ish. Contact: 406-549-2906.
- New to Missoula, Plonk Wine, located at 322 N. Higgins Avenue, offers a great selection of fine wines as well as a full bar menu. For a lighter portion of food, try the chef’s cheese board with your drinks. It comes with a variety of cheeses and fresh bread. Their restaurant hours are Sun-Mon. from 4 pm to close and Tues.-Sat. 11:30 am to close. Every night they serve food until midnight. Contact: 406-926-1791.
If you just want to buy some local wines and you want to know where the best selections are, try some of these local Missoula spots:
Looking for a relaxing stay in Missoula? Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast offers scenic views of majestic mountains and the gorgeous Bitterroot River. Guests enjoy a gourmet breakfast each morning. Hosts Elaine and Brady welcome you to stay at their lovely bed and breakfast inn.
Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast is located in scenic Missoula, Montana. After enjoying a delicious gourmet breakfast each morning, you are fueled up to begin a wonderful day. The next time you get hungry (which will be awhile given our hearty breakfast portions), there is no shortage of great local places for Missoula Montana dining.
- Butterfly Herbs: 232 Higgens Ave. (406) 728-8780 Established in 1972, offering fresh coffees, teas, homemade soups, fresh salads, sandwiches, and coffee ice cream specialties
- Café Zydeco: 2101 Brooks Street (406) 926-2578 Unique Cajun restaurant known for Po-boys, Gumbos, Etouffee, and Beignets
- Caffe Dolce: 500 Brooks Street (406) 830-3055 ext. 3 Fine dining with informal flare, seasonal contemporary Italian menus including pasta, pizza, and seafood, stunning collection of artisanal wines
- Catalyst Café: 111 N Higgins Ave. (406) 542-1337 Offer delicious options for all, including vegetarians, vegans, and celiacs
- El Cazador: 101 S. Higgins (406) 728-3657 Tasty authentic and traditional Mexican dishes
- Finn and Porter: 100 Madison (406) 542-4660 Featuring seafood, steak, and chops and offering a fabulous view with extraordinary service
- Iza: 529 South Higgins Ave. (406) 830-3237 Contemporary local Asian cuisine featuring organic, gluten free, and vegan options
- Mackenzie River Pizza Company: 137 W. Front Street (406) 721-0077 and 5210 Grant Creek Road (406) 721-0099 Gourmet pizzas, hearty sandwiches, signature soups, Montana-sized salads and pastas, gluten-free crust available
- Mustard Seed Asian Café: Southgate Mall (406) 542-7333 Asian-style dishes made to order with lean meats and fresh vegetables, signature sauces and dressing prepared from scratch everyday, award-winning desserts
- Red Bird: Historic Florence Building, 111 N. Higgins Ave. Suite 1000 (406) 549-2906 Wine Bar with over 25 wines by the glass, extensive beer menu with live music on Mondays, intimate evening dining, showcasing local ingredients and transforming them into edible artwork
- Wheat Montana: 2520 S. 3rd St. W (corner of 3rd and Reserve) (406) 327-0900 Handcrafted sandwiches on healthy Wheat Montana bread, fresh baked goods, soup, salad, espresso
- Worden’s Market and Deli: 451 N. Higgins Ave. (406) 549-1293 Voted Missoula’s Best Deli, Best Wine, and Best Beer; cheeses, breads, coffee, football-size sandwiches and salads
Hosts Brady and Elaine Anderson-Wood extend warm hospitality to their bed and breakfast guests. Whether you want to be left alone (they respect the desire for privacy) or you need local recommendations based upon your unique interests, Brady and Elaine aim to please. Make your next vacation a trip to lovely Missoula, Montana.
Written by Kristi Dement of Bed and Breakfast Blogging
Picture by Marcus Berg of Unique Angles Photography
Liquid Planet, a favorite local Missoula coffee shop, was founded by a university professor who set out to create the evolution of the coffeehouse and develop a new culture of beverage.
During his student days, he owned and operated the “Java Bus”, the first espresso and specialty coffee business on the University of Montana campus. Liquid Planet has an online store in addition to their store location at 223 N Higgins in Missoula, Montana.
Liquid Planet believes that life quite literally revolves around beverage. Their mission is to create a purposeful and trusted brand of beverage that will lead to a more healthy and quality lifestyle. They do this while incorporating sustainable business practices throughout their company. Liquid Planet was established as a “green” beverage company with a special focus on all-natural, organic and sustainability.
Considering the fact that every human being consumes well over 50,000 gallons of liquids during the average lifetime, it is no wonder there is such a demand for beverage variety and equally important – quality. The ultimate goal of Liquid Planet is to raise the culture of beverage to a wholesome new level.
Liquid Planet has gone on to create what they say are the finest organic and all-natural coffees, teas, flavored syrups, cocoas, chai, smoothies and frappes in the world. Liquid Planet is also the place to find the best of beverage makers, brewers, and the finest accessories for beverage creation and service in your home or office.
Liquid Planet produced the video below, asking a variety of people in Missoula what is their favorite thing about Missoula? The most common response was the people of Missoula and the sense of community. Specific comments about the people were that they are friendly, happy, open, and accepting. It is easy to make friends wherever you sit down.
Missoula is a relaxed environment that is just the right size to have a diverse amount of people. Some say Missoula is the nicest place to be in Montana. There is so much culture to discover! Spending time outdoors is great all four seasons. There are plenty of coffee shops to savor. People like walking (and shopping) Downtown and visiting the market on Saturdays. Missoula has a place for you no matter what your interests.
Missoula has a variety of restaurants (see Destination Missoula’s list of restaurants and food trucks) to cater to whatever guests are in the mood to eat. From the unique feeling of downtown to the outer edges of Missoula, there is sure to be a local restaurant to make your taste buds happy. If you are looking for something new and uniquely Montana, try a delicious bison burger from one of the half dozen local Missoula restaurants (listed below) who serve them to their diners.
Blue Bison Grill 123 W Front St.
Blue Canyon 3720 N Reserve St
James Bar 127 West Adler
Paradise Falls 3621 Brooks St.
Red Bird 111 N Higgins Ave
River City Grill & Blackfoot 7985 Mt Hwy 200 E in East Missoula
Two personal favorite “Made in Missoula” places of Innkeepers Brady & Elaine:
The Buttercup Market and Café located one block from University of Montana campus (1221 Helen Ave)
The Silk Road main floor in the historic Crystal Theater building (515 South Higgins Ave)
“Made in Missoula” means made with love from someone in Missoula. This is especially true of our tasty buttermilk biscuits we bake for our guests to enjoy. In fact, the gourmet breakfasts alone at Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast have our guests wishing they could stay longer! Brady and Elaine are the perfect hosts at this scenic mountain getaway! Book your stay today!
Written by Kristi Dement of Bed and Breakfast Blogging