Wine lovers visiting Missoula can feel outnumbered by the beer connoisseurs. However, there are plenty of great places to enjoy a wonderful glass of vino. Missoula offers wine enthusiasts many venues to sample the best in Montana. Whether paired with a delicious meal or a stunning sunset over the amazing Montana landscape, a great vintage will enhance your Missoula experience. At Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast, we have stunning views at our mountainside retreat. Guests love to relax with a glass on our many decks and the sweeping views of the Bitterroot River are breathtaking in every season. Plan a relaxing vacation in Missoula while discovering the excellent wines of the region.
The beautiful fall season has arrived in Missoula along with crisp, sunny weather. The mountains and valleys are glowing with vibrant amber, crimson and golden leaves. Soak up the fall scenery on endless hiking and biking trails or on a relaxing countryside drive. Not to mention walking the beautiful tree-lined streets of Missoula’s lively downtown. Around mid to late October the colors will reach their peak brilliance, so now’s the time to plan a fall getaway. Plan your stay at the Blue Mountain B&B with amazing views of the Bitterroot Valley and River. Our mountain side location, just minutes from the heart of Missoula, is also close to all the outdoor activities.
5 Fall Hikes and Walks in Downtown Missoula
The center city of Missoula has many mature trees in the city parks and along the streets. Pull on your favorite cozy sweater and explore the fun restaurants, coffee houses and micro breweries. Then check out these nearby scenic walks with great fall views:
- The University District – Missoula has trees everywhere and the university’s campus is one of the most beautiful in the country. Explore the lovely grounds while strolling under huge maple and oak trees.
- Mount Sentinel – After walking the University of Montana district take the steep hike up Mount Sentinel, also called the “M.” Your climb is rewarded with a great view of the Missoula valley covered in fall colors.
- Waterworks Hill – Grab a picnic lunch before heading out to this quick and easy hike to Waterworks Hill. The Cherry Gulch Loop trail can be picked up at the intersection of Broadway and Madison. This trail is 2.2 miles round trip and offers panoramic views of Missoula and the Rattlesnake area.
- Clark Fork River Trail – The Riverfront Walking Trail along the Clark Fork River has lovely views of the city park and trees reflecting in the river. Pause at McCormick Park to sit by the pond to appreciate the city and mountain views.
- Greenough Park – Located just minutes from downtown Missoula find this 42 acres park with trails along the Rattlesnake River. The charming nature trails and footbridges make for an idyllic walk under the fall canopy.
5 Fall Scenic Drives and Hikes Near Missoula
The Montana countryside is simply breathtaking and the autumn colors just enhance the natural beauty of this region. There are plenty of day trips not far from Missoula that are worth the drive. Take your time and enjoy the journey to these destinations:
- The Bitterroot Valley – South of Missoula take the scenic drive through the 96 mile long Bitterroot Valley. This route not only has stunning fall foliage, but the Sapphire Mountains to the east and the Bitterroot Mountains on the west. Be sure to stop by the Daly Mansion in Hamilton. This 26 acres property has an arboretum, botanical garden, and dramatic mountain views.
- Clark Fork Valley – West of Missoula this valley drive includes views of the rose-color cliffs of Alberton Gorge. Continue to the charming small town of St Regis, and then stop at the fascinating National Bison Range. Hundreds of bison roam the 18,500 acres along with black bears, bighorn sheep and elk.
- The Blackfoot Valley – This scenic drive begins on highway 200 heading northeast out of Missoula. The route hugs the Blackfoot river and leads to Seeley Lake. Continue onto Lincoln for awesome views of the Bob Marshall Wilderness.
- The Rattlesnake Recreation Area – For a shorter road trip visit this area just 5 miles from Missoula. There’s an endless choice of trails to explore at this 61,000 acres park.
- The Blue Mountain Recreation Area – This outdoor treasure is only 2 miles from downtown Missoula and has over 41 miles of hiking trails. While exploring the 5,500 acres enjoy the stunning views of the Sapphire and Rattlesnake mountains. A wonderful beginner’s trail is the Maclay Flat nature trail along the Bitterroot River.
Fall is a magical time to visit Missoula and the landscape at its most stunning. After exploring the beautiful mountains or lively downtown, return to your quiet retreat at the Blue Mountain B&B. Relax watching the sunset behind the mountains from one of our multi-level decks. Book your luxury guest room with us today before the colors fade.
Biking in Missoula means daily commuting, touring downtown and flying down mountain trails. Bicycle Friendly America awarded Missoula a Gold level rating, because of the over 20 miles of bike lanes and city biking routes. However, it’s the scenic mountain trails with exhilarating descents that draw most visitors. With its huge network of biking trails, Missoula is a mountain biker’s paradise. The Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast is close to all the great biking recreational areas and a short drive to downtown restaurants and pubs. After a restful night, our delicious, hearty breakfast will have you fueled up for a day of hitting the trails. Then return to your comfortable room and soak those tired muscles in a jetted tub. Book your biking adventure in Missoula today at our stunning mountainside location. Continue reading
Tour the many Missoula tasting rooms and discover a new favorite wine, beer or spirit. Whatever your adult beverage of choice, Missoula offers a variety of excellent libations in fun establishments. Sip a flight of local wines while listening to great live music. Or relax on a sunny patio while tasting a sample of several craft beers. Before a dinner out, savor a perfectly balanced cocktail made with small batch spirits. The local wineries, breweries, and distilleries take pride in their products and love to share their passion and knowledge. Many offer fascinating informational tours, but be sure to check if reservations are needed. Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast has a serene location just a short drive to downtown Missoula. We’ll have you rested and ready for another day of exploring. Book your summer getaway at our quiet retreat with breathtaking views. Continue reading
Fancy cocktails can begin or top off a perfect date night in downtown Missoula. After a day hiking, biking or fishing in Montana’s beautiful landscape, discover the romantic side of Missoula. Reward an active day in the outdoors with a classy drink, great food, and live music in a sophisticated cocktail lounge. Blue Mountain Lodge has a great central location, only a short drive to all the favorite local night spots. We offer a private setting that’s close to all the nightlife. Book your suite with us today for vacation with the perfect balance of rustic beauty and chic dining. Continue reading
The trout season has begun and avid anglers are returning to their favorite fishing spots. Locals considered fishing an art performed in the beautiful setting of Montana’s lakes and rivers. And Norman Maclean’s novel A River Runs Through It, illustrates the grace of fly fishing on an idyllic Missoula river. Experienced anglers will enjoy the endless selection of scenic fishing locations. While beginners can join guided tours that include all the gear and instruction needed. It’s no surprise that Forbes Magazine named Missoula one of North America’s top ten fishing towns. For the perfect Missoula fishing vacation, stay at the Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast. Our mountainside location treats guests to breathtaking valley views and elegant suites. Enjoy the privacy of a quiet retreat while close to downtown Missoula and great fishing. Book your trout fishing vacation in gorgeous Missoula today. Continue reading
Birding season has arrived, and the mountains, rivers and valleys of Missoula are bursting with life. The brilliant spring flowers blanket the meadows and the vibrant colorful birds have begun nesting. Swallows dive with acrobatic precision to catch insects, while raptors soar overhead. An impressive variety of bird species make their home in the diverse habitat of this region. Birding enthusiasts will discover great opportunities for sightings in forests, marshes, and grasslands. Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast offers sweeping views of the Bitterroot River and the valley. Enjoy luxury accommodations while surrounded by the gorgeous wilderness of our mountainside location. And our hearty, gourmet breakfasts will prepare you for a day of hiking the trails and preserves. Book your birding getaway today and celebrate the arrival of spring with us in Missoula.
The fine art in Missoula reflects the natural beauty of the surrounding region. And now is the time to plan a getaway to Missoula to admire the landscape. Catch the end of the magical, snowy season or the beginning of our beautiful, brilliant Spring. After a day of skiing, snowshoeing or hiking, explore Missoula’s charming downtown. Spend an afternoon strolling through the Missoula Art Museum and the many fine art galleries. Then top off the perfect evening at an excellent restaurant.
The Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast is nestled in the mountains, with amazing views of the Bitterroot River. However our lovely secluded retreat is only a short drive to lively Missoula. Reserve your relaxing escape with us and enjoy the stunning outdoors, in addition to our inspiring arts community.
Missoula has a thriving music scene and packs a lot of choices into its downtown. Every type of music lover can find something here. We have rock concerts with famous headliners, full orchestras in majestic halls, pubs hosting local bands and jazz lounges. Plan a night of music after a day cross-country skiing mountain trails or snowboarding the slopes. The Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast will be your quiet retreat when you’re ready to relax. Wake up to sweeping views of the valley below the snowy mountains. Then enjoy our hearty, gourmet breakfast before beginning another day of adventure. Book your stay with us for a fantastic getaway.
Do you find yourself dreaming of a relaxing and romantic getaway, to help pass the time during these cold winter months? Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, so we can think of no better time to plan some time away, just the two of you. We have the perfect place in mind for you, too. Our Bed and Breakfast, located just outside of downtown Missoula, is the top choice for romantic lodging. Let us do all the work for you, so you can spend your time relaxing and focusing on each other. Romance is our business, and no one does it better. Book a romantic getaway with us this winter, and enjoy a luxurious stay at Missoula’s top Bed and Breakfast. Continue reading