Though we’re sad to see what has been a remarkable summer in Montana come to an end, we are definitely looking forward to some cooler weather, and maybe even a little rain. The wildfires this summer have been extreme, and have definitely impacted many of Montana’s communities. Despite this, the mountains are already showing hints of their colorful autumnal hues, and there is no better time to plan a getaway to Missoula. Here, you’ll find large stretches of untouched wilderness. As the air continues to cool, we’ll soon be surrounded by fall’s hallmark hues of crimson, orange, yellow, and green. Take advantage of this incredible fall weather, and book your room with us today.
Fall Getaway to Missoula
As early as September, you’ll enjoy the start to Missoula’s brilliant fall foliage season. These stunning pops of red, orange, and yellow will gradually work their way down the mountains, and will reach their peak sometime during mid-late October. Hiking and biking are two of our favorite ways to witness fall’s colorful displays, but scenic drives through the countryside can be a visually rewarding as well. If you need a little inspiration, here are some undeniably beautiful photos of Missoula in the fall. Now that you see how beautiful it is, here are our favorite ways to experience the glorious fall foliage in and around Missoula:
- Take a walk in the University District. The surrounding tree-lined streets are absolutely magical when fall reaches its peak color.
- Hike up to the “M” on Mount Sentinel, consistently one of Missoula’s most popular hikes. From the top, you’ll enjoy remarkable views over the Clark River and the Missoula Valley.
- Take a stroll along the Clark Fork Riverwalk, and enjoy autumn’s beautiful colors reflected in the sparkling blue water.
- Explore the Blue Mountain Recreation Area on the south western side of Missoula. There is plenty of open place to explore, and you’ll find some of Missoula’s most beautiful natural scenery, including along one of our favorite trails, the Maclay Flat Interpretive Trail.
- Climb to the top of the Forest Ranger Lookout Tower at Fort Missoula, and enjoy the colors of fall from above Missoula.
- Grab a sandwich and climb Waterworks Hill. Enjoy a picnic while watching the brilliant fall colors fade into the sunset over Missoula.
- Take a scenic drive through the Bitterroot Valley. The valley is 96 miles long, and cradled by the Sapphire Mountains on the east and the jagged peaks of the Bitterroot Mountains on the west. Along the way you’ll find stunning forested hillsides dotted brightly with falls favorite colors, and charming communities worth exploring.
- If you’re looking for another scenic fall foliage drive, head to the Clark Fork Valley. Here, popular places to visit include the National Bison Range, or to Koo-Koo-Sint Bighorn Sheep Viewing Site. There are also some natural hot spring pools, which are the perfect way to end a day of adventure in the crisp fall air.
No matter where or how you choose to enjoy fall in Missoula, relax with the warm hospitality you expect from Montana. Book your fall getaway today!