The things to do in Missoula during the long winter months is an extensive list of everything from outdoor adventure, to getting a relaxing massage, or kicking back and tasting a local brew. Montana in the winter is a magical time of year when the world becomes a playground and excuses to cozy up and enjoy a good meal are highlighted! Missoula is no exception with its world-class places to explore. Winter surely does not dull the adventurous spirit of this Montana town!
You’ll find the ultimate in comfort and coziness this winter at our Missoula bed and breakfast. Our small mountainside retreat is a romantic winter getaway full of casual elegance. From here you can take in the views of the Missoula Valley and surrounding mountains. Located just minutes away from all the shops, dining, and outdoor adventure but feeling like a world away this is your perfect escape this winter. Your stay with us will be a memorable and relaxing one! If you want the best place to enjoy a quintessential Montana vacation, book your room today!
Things to do in Missoula This Winter
Snow, snow, and more snow! That is what winter in Missoula is all about. Having fun in the snow and making the most of this glorious time of year is what most people in this Montana town are good at! The winter here averages 40 inches of snow per year. What else is there to do but play in it?! There are also great opportunities to savor some indoor activities after being out in the snow all day. Here are our 10 favorite things to do in Missoula this winter.
- Snowshoeing into an open Montana wilderness is one of the best things to do in Missoula this winter. As you make your way through picturesque winter landscapes you’ll be able to get away from the crowds and find pure moments of solitude. This a great option for all skill levels and requires little practice. You can set out in any direction you want in places like Pattee Canyon Recreation Area, and Rattlesnake Recreation Area. Forgot your snowshoes? No worries as Trail Head in Missoula provides rental of winter equipment including snowshoes.
- Cross country skiing goes hand in hand with winter in Montana. Of all the things to do in Missoula, this is one of the most popular. With so many natural areas there is never a shortage of options. Check with the Missoula Nordic Ski Club for an up to date check on trail conditions and grooming reports. This is also a great place to find out what trail choices are available. Places like Seeley Creek Nordic Ski Trails offers a series of linked trails where you can select short, medium, or a long route.
- A unique option among a list of things to do in Missoula this winter is to go for a snowmobile ride through the Montana winter wonderland! This thrilling activity provides an opportunity to experience the backcountry in a fun and exhilarating way. You can rent or take a tour with Bitterroot Adventures. They offer single or double rider snowmobiles and will take you on a trip catered to your skill level.
- A fun option of things to do in Missoula during the winter is to bundle up and try some ice fishing. You can easily day trip to places like Flathead Lake where you can find a variety of outfitters that offer tours and charters. Places like Flathead Lake Charters and Howe’s Fishing provide qualified guides to lead you on this adventure. Please note that due to the Covid-19 pandemic Flathead Lake Charters has suspended operations for the 2020-2021 season but is very much looking forward to resuming next season when you are visiting Northwest Montana!
- After a day spent in the snow warm up by tasting some of the best beverages Missoula has to offer by visiting a local brewery or distillery. Places like Kettlehouse Brewing Company, Big Sky Brewing, and Bayern Brewing showcase just how seriously Missoulians take their beer! Missoula ranks #2 in the nation for craft breweries per capita and we can see why. If you are looking for something a little different head out to a Missoula distillery where fine spirits and cocktails are served in tasting rooms. Bring home a bottle for a memorable souvenir. Mongomery Distillery, Montana Distillery, Rattlesnake Creek Distillers, and Lolo Creek Distillery all offer samplings.
- Visiting a natural hot spring is one of the best things to do in Missoula you can do for yourself this winter in Montana! Lolo Hot Springs is a more developed facility offering indoor and outdoor pools as well as a casino and restaurant. For more natural pools try Jerry Johnson Hot Springs or Weir Hot Springs.
- Try a unique way of exploring the Montana backcountry by going on a dog sledding trip! Experienced guides will take on an unforgettable adventure at places such as Dogsled Adventures Montana, Absaroka Dogsled Treks, and Triple Creek Ranch. One of the more unforgettable things to do in Missoula this winter!
- Indulge in true relaxation during these winter months with a massage. Treat yourself before your next outdoor snow-filled adventure! Facilities such as Cedar Creek Salon and Day Spa, Sorella’s Day Spa, and Spa at the Peak all offer a variety of massages to suit your specific needs.
- For a more romantic winter activity that is less high impact but still just as memorable is going on a sleigh ride through the Montana wilderness. Double Arrow Lodge and The Resort at Paws Up both offer nearby spots to visit where you’ll be transported to a bygone era.
- Explore the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for an in-depth look at why elk are an important part of the ecosystem. Check out the museum then head outside to enjoy the winter beauty of the wooded nature trail that meanders through this 22-acre stunning property.
The Best Missoula Bed and Breakfast
After a day of adventuring and exploring all of the things to do in Missoula out in the beautiful, but cold Montana landscape you’ll need a place to come back to that will rise up to meet you. Our cozy, quiet, and supremely comfortable bed and breakfast is the perfect spot to rejuvenate for your next day’s winter explorations.
In your private guest room, you’ll be able to warm those tired muscles in the jetted bath and shower. Get an amazing night’s sleep on your bed fitted with a down comforter that you will melt into at the end of the day. Our mountain getaway creates an ambiance of plush yet casual escape you’ll need this winter. If you are ready for the ultimate winter vacation book your stay today!