Finding skiing near Missoula is not a difficult task as there are a plethora of incredible places throughout the area. There are world-class ski resorts that offer incredible terrain, acres of trails, as well as spectacular views of the famed big sky country. If you are dreaming of finding fresh powder to ski or snowboard through this winter, those dreams can become a reality by checking out the best skiing near Missoula! You can be amongst the most sought after ski areas in the world just 20 minutes from downtown or enjoy the gorgeous drives from Missoula to the many other ski resorts in the area.
After a day on the slopes, you’ll need a cozy and relaxing place to warm those toes and sip hot chocolate. Our Missoula bed and breakfast is the ultimate winter getaway for you! Set on a mountainside, our lodging offers the serenity you’ve been searching for. With views of the Bitterroot river below and surrounding forests, you’ll feel as if you have stepped into your own mountain retreat. The rustic surroundings are reflected in the woodsy decor without compromising luxury and comfort. If you are ready for the perfect place to escape to this winter, book your room today!
The Best Skiing Near Missoula
Winter in Montana means skiing for those who love the great outdoors and being in the open, fresh mountain air. Luckily Missoula is situated near many sought-after ski areas. Some folks come out from all over the world to hit the slopes here for skiing near Missoula. Whether you are a beginner or someone who likes to cover as many different kinds of terrain as possible, there is something for everyone. Here are 7 incredible places to ski near Missoula.
- The Montana Snowbowl is just a 20-minute drive from downtown and is a local favorite. As far as skiing near Missoula, this is the closest and most convenient. This area boasts a continuous vertical drop of 2,600 feet which is one of the steepest in the nation. Not all trails here are as intense. Many trails are great places for beginners to learn the basics. Each year the Snowbowl hosts the annual Snowbowl Cup Gelande Championship that features ski jumping of up to 200 feet!
- Discovery Ski Area offers lessons and rentals. The four faces of this mountain have amazing terrain that ranges from gentle runs and groomed trails to steeper moguls to a rugged backside for adventurous skiing near Missoula.
- On the west shore of Flathead Lake, overlooking Lakeside, Montana is Blacktail Mountain. This gorgeous ski area sits among 1,000 acres of National Forest land. Everyone starts out with a spectacular view as that’s where the parking lot is located! You’ll see across to Glacier National Park as well as other surrounding snow-covered mountain ranges. Definitely a unique place for skiing near Missoula!
- Where Montana and Idaho meet, in the Bitterroot Range of the Northern Rockies is Lost Trail Powder Mountain. This area is known for having consistently good snow conditions with an average of 300 inches of snowfall each year! This area holds a rich history as the Lewis and Clark Expedition passed through here. Opened in 1938, the Lost Mountain Ski area has always strived to be a family-friendly and affordable experience of skiing near Missoula.
- Lookout Pass is also on the Idaho-Montana state line. In this 540 acres of terrain, there are 37 named runs. You can take a group or private lesson to hone your skills. They also offer season-long and daily rentals. There are regular events offered such as a Torchlight Parade to watch or participate in, and a Mountain Brewfest and snow bowling with kids where kids are your bowling ball!
- If you are looking for more of a resort setting, Whitefish Mountain Resort may be for you! This area is big and has a lot to offer with 3,000 acres of terrain! There is access to ski on all four sides of the mountain. One unique feature of this skiing near Missoula is that they offer ambassadors to help orient you to the mountain and help you choose your dream terrain to ski on.
- The Great Divide Ski Area is a family operated snowsports mountain park. There are over 140 trails with 5 terrain parks spread out over 3 mountain peaks! Out of all the skiing near Missoula, this area boasts being Montana’s sunniest. Here there are 3 main mountain lifts one of which offers night skiing every Friday night!
The Ultimate Missoula Lodging
After a day on the slopes, you need a place to come back to and relax, unwind, and rest your muscles. Our Montana bed and breakfast offers the winter respite you’ve been needing. Set on a mountainside with views of the Bitterroot River and surrounding valley you’ll feel as if you are at a secluded mountain cabin. In your private guest room, you’ll get a great night’s sleep on your bed fitted with plush and luxurious linens. In your private bath soak your tired muscles in the jetted tub, then relax in your seating area curled up with a good book and watch as the snow falls outside your window.
We offer hearty breakfasts and unique dinners for guests that will fill up your soul as well as your stomach! These thoughtful meals are lovingly prepared for each guest. Let us share our passion for food with you! If you want the perfect place to escape to this winter in the mountains of Missoula, book your stay with us today!