A new year is here, which means a new year full of adventures and possibilities. Montana should definitely be on your “must-see” list this year, especially Missoula, which is easily one of the best places to stay in Montana.
What makes the charming yet rugged town of Missoula one of the best places to stay in Montana? It’s a combination of big-city amenities, like restaurants, breweries, museums, and more, small-town charm, and unprecedented access to some of the most beautiful scenery in Montana. It’s also within easy reach of popular day-trip destinations, like Flathead Lake and Glacier National Park.
Aside from being able to visit extraordinary places, visiting Missoula also gives you the chance to stay at our rural Bed and Breakfast, which we would consider top among the best places to stay in Montana. We’re situated just outside of Missoula, close enough for you to be able to enjoy the best of this magnificent city, but far enough away to relax and unwind under the big skies Montana is famous for.
It’s truly the getaway of a lifetime. Don’t you think it’s time you started planning? Relax, unwind, and visit Missoula, one of the best places to stay in Montana. Book your room today!
Why Missoula is One of the Best Places to Stay in Montana
There are plenty of reasons to consider Missoula one of the best places to stay in Montana. It starts, of course, with the biggest draw to the area; Missoua’s a veritable mecca for outdoor enthusiasts. There are virtually endless hiking and biking trails in Missoula, not to mention a river for a variety of water sports, and a winter blanketed with snow for an entirely new range of outdoor pursuits.
If you’re not into the outdoors or want a mix of adventure and culture on your trip, you can find that in Missoula, too! Missoula is a college town, which means it has a diverse range of attractions. The beer scene here is exceptional, and the restaurants are pretty great, too. Truly, Missoula has a little something for everyone, and that is why we consider it one of the best places to stay in Montana.
Depending on when you visit, there are more than enough things to do in Missoula to keep you busy and having fun, too! We’ve broken our list of things to do in Missoula out by summer activities (which really apply to spring, summer, and fall), and winter activities for you snow-loving adventurers. It won’t take you long to see why Missoula is one of the best places to stay in Montana!
The rugged natural beauty of this area lends itself to summertime exploration and so there are many options of things to do in Missoula. Whatever you choose to do, get ready for plenty of big adventures!
- Hiking is easily one of the top things to do in Missoula during this time of year, and arguably one of the things that makes Missoula one of the best places to stay in Montana. There are endless trails to choose from, but some good ones to get started with include Mount Sentinel or the “M” as it is referred to, the Kim Williams Trail, trails in the Rattlesnake Wilderness, as well as those in the Pattee Canyon National Recreation Area.
- Biking is another popular reason to visit Missoula. The city is very bike-friendly and offers pathways through the downtown, along the river, or off-road adventures in the many National Recreation areas. Popular trails include The Bitterroot Trail and the Kim Williams Trail.
- Visit the seasonal markets in Missoula, like Clark Fork River Market and The Missoula Farmers Market.
- Fishermen love Missoula – it is home to some of the best trout fishing in the world. You have your choice of the Clark Fork, Bitterroot, and Blackfoot Rivers, and there are plenty of outfitters in town to work with, including Blackfoot River Outfitters, Missoula On The Fly, and Grizzly Hackle.
- Water sport enthusiasts don’t want to miss the surfers at Brennan’s Wave downtown on the Clark Fork River. This man-made wave was constructed in memory of a world-class kayaker. On summer evenings you can come down to check out kayakers, surfers, and paddleboarders trying out new tricks on the wave.
- Head down to the Hip Strip for some unique boutique shopping, checking out art galleries, and great eateries. The businesses here are all locally owned and operated and offer a great way to find that perfect souvenir for your time in Missoula.
- Unwind in the afternoon with a cold pint of beer at one of the many incredible breweries that dot the city. From craft and specialized breweries to establishments that serve up more traditional brews, you’ll see why Missoula is one of the top destinations for beer in the country. Places like Big Sky Brewing Co., Bayern Brewing, Kettlehouse Brewing, Conflux Brewing, and so many others offer great spaces to enjoy a refreshing beverage on a summer’s day.
- Beer isn’t the only great reason to visit Missoula – there are also some great distilleries here. Try Mongomery Distillery, Montana Distillery, Rattlesnake Creek Distillers, and Lolo Creek Distillery.
Snow, snow, and more snow! That is what winter in Missoula is all about. There are plenty of things to do in Missoula in the winter, and this opportunity for four seasons of fun is what makes Missoula one of the best places to stay in Montana. Here are a few of our favorite things to do in Missoula in the winter.
- Snowshoeing into an open Montana wilderness is a breathtaking journey. Head to places like Pattee Canyon Recreation Area, and Rattlesnake Recreation Area, and enjoy an unforgettable afternoon in Missoula.
- Cross country skiing goes hand in hand with winter in Montana. Check with the Missoula Nordic Ski Club for an up to date check on trail conditions and grooming reports, and enjoy popular trail networks like the Seeley Creek Nordic Ski Trails.
- For a bit of thrilling adventure, head out to some of the snowmobiling trails around Missoula. If you don’t have your own, you can rent or take a tour with Bitterroot Adventures.
- How about some ice fishing? Team up with Flathead Lake Charters and Howe’s Fishing, which provide qualified guides to lead you on this adventure.
- The same great breweries, restaurants, and distilleries that you visit during the remainder of the year are here to warm you up after a day of fun in the great outdoors of Missoula.
- Visiting a natural hot spring is one of the best things to do in Missoula in the winter! Lolo Hot Springs is a more developed facility, while Jerry Johnson Hot Springs or Weir Hot Springs offer a more natural experience.
- Team up with experienced dog sledding guides f0r an unforgettable adventure at places such as Dogsled Adventures Montana, Absaroka Dogsled Treks, and Triple Creek Ranch.
The Best Place to Stay in Missoula
So now that we’ve covered why Missoula is one of the best places to stay in Montana, let’s talk about the best place to stay in Missoula itself! When it comes to extraordinary lodging in Missoula, nothing beats the comfortable accommodations and exceptional hospitality provided by our Missoula Bed and Breakfast.
The Blue Mountain Bed and Breakfast is located close enough to town to enjoy the best breweries, restaurants, museums, and other great things to do in Missoula, but it’s also far enough away to soak up the tranquil ambiance of Missoula’s stunning countryside. We offer guests the perfect blend between rustic and elegant accommodations, set amidst stunning natural surroundings. It’s truly the best of both worlds.
As exciting as Missoula is (and why it ranks as one of the best places to stay in Montana), our Bed and Breakfast also offers our guests various onsite leisure activities to enjoy while here. We make it easy for you to enjoy a down day or two, an essential part of any action-packed adventure!
Regardless of what you plan to do during the day, each morning here will start with a delicious and hearty breakfast. It’s the perfect fuel for whatever adventure lies ahead. Sink your teeth into our Swedish pancakes, huckleberry sourdough, crab cakes, or steak and eggs. You definitely won’t go hungry here!
If you’re ready to experience the best place to stay in Missoula, then it’s time to start planning. Book your room at our Missoula MT Bed and Breakfast today!